🏨📺🥶 Pieter Bruegel's Discount Motel, Color TV, Cold AC
The Pairing & Seeding Model to Start a Platform Group, AWS is bigger than IBM
Generic Plan for a Starting a Platform Team in a Large Enterprise
On Friday, I had a discussion with someone just starting to think about how they’d put a platform in place at their very large organization. I have my ever evolving prattle about that, of course. But rather than talk about (only) that, I wanted to give a very concise, prescriptive, “never mind theory and decks with one big word or pictures on each slide, here’s what you can do right now,” sort of list. These are the kinds of boiled down things executives want to see.
Also, I’m giving this rev of the talk on Monday at configuration management camp.
The Pairing & Seeding Model to Start a Platform Group
Here’s the painfully brief plan. Perhaps it’d be a good outline for that long form piece I keep wanting to write on platforms. To over-simplify it, I’d call it the pairing & seeding model.
Initial Phase: Build a Platform with Developers
1. Form a platform team: owner/product manager, operators, engineers, advocate
2. Pick one app for business & technical feasibility.
3. Do a developer toil audit to find developer tooling and process improvements.
4. Find path to production with end-to-end value stream analysis to find bottlenecks to improve.
5. Start with pre-integrated platform, customize as you find a reason to.
6. Build the golden path with the developer team uses.
7. Optionally, build an IDP as part of the platform.
8. Do this for 3 months, keeping track of what works and doesn’t work in your orginization.
Growth Phase: Pairing & Seeding
1. Create platform marketing program.
2. Find two to five more apps.
3. Pair & seed from first dev team to new teams. You’ll probably send a few platform engineers to these teams too.
4. "Shift Left" - update your golden paths for governance, security, etc. needs.
5. Automate bottlenecks before hiring more platform staff.
6. Add more infrastructure staff with pairing & seeding with existing staff.
7. Do this for three months.
8. Repeat, growing number of apps as pairing & seeding allows.
Looking to level up your Spring skills? 📈
Check out the brand new Spring Academy, where Spring professionals can take advantage of interactive, on-demand courses, learning paths, and more to become Spring experts. Get started here.
I like all those MidJourney made up TV shows and movies. With a little bit of searching, you can find that putting “dvd screengrab” along with things like “1984 sitcom” will get you that look. Here’s some:
The prompts are:
dvd screengrab 1985 sitcom "Salad Days" journalist in a newsroom filled with other journalists leaning back with feet on desk reading printer papers smoking, wide angle detailed Miami colors
dvd screengrab, from 1986 family sitcom TV show "Pieter Brughel's Motel"
Relevant to your interests
The Big Tech Rebound Is Underway, Alex Kantrowitz - Big time optimism here. // ‘Already this year, Meta stock is up 51%, Amazon is up 31%, Alphabet is up 20%, Apple is up 20%, and Microsoft is up 10%. All are healthily beating the S&P 500, even with some muted earnings reports this week. As tech analyst Dan Ives put it in a DM Thursday, “Huge rebound underway.’"
Amazon Q4 2022 Financials, the Tim Bray analysis - “AWS is now considerably bigger than IBM and much more profitable.” // IBM’s TTM has been around $60bn for a few years (down from the 70’s). AWS: “Quarterly revenue growth of 20% year-over-year to $21.4B, annual revenue growth of 29% to $80.1B. The quarterly operating income was $5.2B, $22.8B annually.”
YouTube Shorts Has Surpassed 50 Billion Daily Views - “YouTube Shorts has surpassed 50 billion daily views, up from 30 billion a year ago.”
See y’all next time!